Wednesday, October 29, 2014

#102 - CAPTIVATED by Vicky Beeching

OK, before we begin discussing this great song, I think I know what most of you are thinking. You're thinking that we need to discuss the elephant in the room, so here goes:

Why the heck do you have an elephant in your room??? Sure, it's your room, and you can do what you want, but he's just going to knock all of the knick-knacks off your shelves and push down your couch cushions so much that it feels different the next time you sit there. Oh, and don't get me started on trying to find a litter box big enough for him (I mean, you can't just walk him, good luck trying to fit all that in a Glad sandwich baggie, am I right?).

But seriously, the elephant in the room when it comes to Vicky Beeching is...well, wait, maybe I shouldn't even mention it. I mean, if you don't know, then maybe I shouldn't ruin Vicky's great music for you. Suffice it to say (trying not to give anything away here), it starts with an 'L', and ends with an '-esbian'. (Whew, dodged that bullet).


Now, I'm pretty confident that I could do about 25 paragraphs on Vicky's newly revealed, uh, lifestyle choice. I'm sure it would have some biting sarcasm, biblical pronouncements, condemnations, and a whole host of wildly inaccurate yet entertaining Andy-isms on the LGBT community. But, as I mentioned earlier in this post, Rooftops Jesus Culture, that's not part of the selection process.

A SPECIAL CLASS OF SONG

In my head, I lump songs into certain categories or classes. When I was doing youth groups, I sort of had some simple classes that I would use when deciding which songs we would do each week. Simply put, in my head I had the faster, rocky, clappy songs, and the slower, 'sing the worship chorus slowly over and over again' song. 

The song 'Captivated' doesn't really fall into either of these main two groups (Again, these are arbitrary in-my-mind groupings, and I don't contend that everyone should think like this). 'Captivated' certainly isn't a rocky, jumpy song, but it also doesn't have a really pretty, hooky chorus that you sing over and over again (like, for instance, 'Your Love is Deep').

The category I have in my mind for songs like this one is the 'quiet time' category. Just real simple, pretty, stripped down songs that you can listen to in the background of some quiet reflection time (Some people use a term like 'soaking', which I personally don't like because it sounds too charasmatic-y to me).

I have a bunch of songs like this one in my iTunes, and even used to have a playlist just called 'Quiet Time' which I would frequently go to. Alas, there aren't many songs like this one on the top 100 list. This one makes the cut because it's really, really pretty and it's song really, really well. (even if there is a huge elephant sitting on the speakers).

To be notified when a new song is posted: 
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts (clickable)

Recent Posts Widget
Web Analytics