Friday, January 16, 2015

#84 THE NOISE WE MAKE - Passion One Day Live


Made this myself, It'd be a shame if it was a total waste of time when the Colts lose by 30.
 A hauntingly beautiful song by Addison Road in Andy's Extras

Well, it's been almost a week since I've posted, maybe the longest I've gone. But as you can see from the above, I've been a little preoccupied because my beloved Indianapolis Colts are playing in the AFC Championship Game this weekend, against the evil empire, the New England Patriots. After the Colts pull off a stunning upset for the second consecutive week, I'm posting this on Facebook on Sunday night. You can say you saw it here first.

Ok then, let's get back into the countdown with a little trivia question for you, so put on your thinking caps. What do the following songs have in common with song #84 on the countdown, The Noise We Make?:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
Bullet the Blue Sky - U2
Hot For Teacher - Van Halen
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift

Well, of course, the obvious answer is that all these songs are on my iPod, that's what they have in common. That would be true, but that's not the answer I'm looking for. Actually, they are all actually on a playlist that I have entitiled, "Songs for When I'm Home Alone on a Saturday Night YET AGAIN, Because I'm SO Desperately Lonely" As you may have guessed, I listen to that playlist all the time.

Nope, the thing that all these songs have in common with The Noise We Make is that they all have a rather famous spoken part in the song - you know where they just stop singing and start talking. I kind of like it when songs have a little random speaking in them, it sort of helps me when I try to sing along. I can't sing along, because I can't sing, but I can speak along. Yep, having speaking in the middle of songs is one of my favorite things ever. Like, ever.

If Taylor Swift were like Helen Keller and could only say 'water', it would still sell 10 million copies.
(and sadly I would still buy it)


The Chris Tomlin speaking part in The Noise We Make totally makes the whole song. And if you have only the Chris Tomlin album version of The Noise We Make, and not the Passion: One Day Live version, you might not know what I'm talking about. It actually comes from Revelation 5:11-13. Here it is. Sing along, or speak along, or do whatever it is you do when no one is looking:

Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and 10,000 times 10,000. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they sang, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power, and wealth, and wisdom, and strength, and honor and glory, and praise."

Then I heard every creature in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and on the sea, and all that is in them singing to Him who sits unto the throne and to the Lamb "Be praise and honor and glory and power forever and ever Amen"!

Nice. Really good stuff. The Passion: One Day Live album is one of the seminal moments in modern worship history. Yours truly voted it the 2nd best worship album EVER (like, ever) here: Your Name Is Holy. Check the track listing below, the album is filled with great songs. And the worship leaders read like a who's who of modern worship - David Crowder, Matt Redman, Christy Nockels, Kristian Stanfill, and of course Chris Tomlin - and this was before we really knew who these people were.


As for Chris Tomlin, believe it or not, this is his very first appearance on the top 100 countdown. Of course this isn't because he doesn't belong on the countdown, more likely it's that a lot of his good songs are ranked a lot higher. But the more I think about it, Chris Tomlin needs to be the "something" of modern worship.

What I mean is that he needs to have an analog like some of the other artists. For example, We (and by 'we' I mean 'me') have already said that Hillsong is the Beatles of modern worship, and that the album Hungry is the Sgt. Pepper's of modern worship. I also believe I sort of suggested that David Crowder was the James Dean of modern worship. Chris Tomlin certainly needs to be 'someone' or 'something' as well.

First of all, Chris Tomlin has to be someone BIG, not just some mediocre talent - Chris Tomlin CAN NOT be the Third Eye Blind of modern worship. Also, he sort of rose to fame as part of a group, Passion, and then made a name for himself, so we've got to take that into account. How about Sting? He was part of The Police, and then went on to solo success. Nah, I don't like Sting.

Maybe Freddie Mercury. He was a huge star with Queen, but he's dead now so I wouldn't want to jinx Chris Tomlin. What about Phil Collins? Genesis was huge, and he had a pretty good solo career, and he sort of looks like Chris Tomlin, if you squint. Close, but no. He can't be the Jay-Z of modern worship music either, because I can't name one thing that Jay-Z has ever done, and also I'm pretty sure it would somehow be racist, according to Al Sharpton.

Ooh! I've got it! How about this?: Chris Tomlin is the Bono of modern worship. Yep, that works on every level. U2 is a huge band to secular music just like Passion is to worship music, and Bono is a worldwide superstar big enough to equal Chris Tomlin's impact on modern worship. I like it, it's official: Chris Tomlin is the Bono of modern worship music. Write it down, tell your friends and neighbors. I guess I have 'Found What I'm Looking For'.

I searched all around because I wanted to find the actual concert footage from One Day Live, but I couldn't find it anywhere. That's a shame, but here's the song anyway:

To be notified when a new song is posted: 
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts (clickable)

Recent Posts Widget
Web Analytics