Monday, December 28, 2015

#67 ALL WHO ARE THIRSTY - Brenton Brown/Vineyard


I have a confession to make: I used to be a real worship music junkie. Back in the early 'aughts', it was not only my passion but also my job as youth pastor to find the best and latest worship music for myself and for my kids. I was constantly searching all my available resources to make sure I was up to date on the latest worship happenings.

All of this made me something of a worship music aficionado, but there was a downside. You see, this constant finding and replacing of good worship music sometimes led to a lack of appreciation of some really good music. You guys know what I'm talking about - it's like when you get older and you marry a younger, hotter chick and sort of forget about your first wife and your kids. (1)

(1) I am not married. I have never been married. As I re-read that last sentence, I'm beginning to understand that maybe, just maybe, the problem might be me.

What would happen is that I would find a good song or CD, and I'd play it non-stop for about a week, but then I'd forget about it by the next Tuesday when Chris Tomlin, Hillsong, and Matt Redman all released CDs on the same day (we called this the 'worship trifecta').

As you can tell, I've got some pretty extensive playlists
This happens to be the case with this week's entry, song #67, All Who Are Thirsty by Vineyard and Brenton Brown. Over the years I've sort of forgotten about this song because it got pushed out by the newer, shinier worship music that followed it. and yes, I've made sure to include the song on all my playlists, but I've got so much music that it rarely comes up.

Once I decided to start this blog, I went back over all the music I've ever had in order to make sure I didn't miss something. And sure enough, All Who Are Thirsty was one of those songs where I said to myself "This has to be on the list". As an aside, I also discovered that I had mistakenly placed Donna Summer's Hot Stuff on my 'Worship Music for Small Group' playlist - it's no wonder they didn't invite me back.

All Who Are Thirsty is another one of those songs that people may not know by the title, but once they hear it they can remember it. If the song had gotten it's title from the chorus - "Come Lord Jesus, Come"; it might be a lot easier for people to recall. In short, it's just another classic song from Vineyard in an era when they were dispensing classic worship songs like Pez.

A LOOK BACK, A LOOK AHEAD

As 2015 comes to a close and 2016 dawns, it's always a good time for reflection. Unfortunately for me, at my age, not much changed during 2015. I started 2015 with 7 cats, and I finished the year with the same 7 cats. Which I guess could be considered a win since two of my cats were born during the Clinton administration.

Got a brand new chair this year. Now I just need to buy another chair so I have a place to sit.
Sadly, the biggest 'life event' that happened for me during 2015 was that I replaced my ratty, cruddy, 15 year old chair with a brand new chair. When all of your Facebook friends are constantly posting about having kids, getting a new job, going to Europe, having grand kids, etc; and my big news is 'new Barcalounger, it might be time to take a hard look at my life.

One thing I would like to resolve to do in 2016 is to keep up with this blog. It's been a little over a year since I started this, and I'm still only on song #67. Who knows why things like this happen, but I realize I've got to do better. So, henceforth, I will try to update at least every week to 10 days, and hopefully we'll be well into the top 20 by this time next year.

For now, just enjoy song #67, All Who Are Thirsty, and hopefully we'll have song #66 by this time next week. As I mentioned earlier, if you're not sure you know this song, you probably do, so enjoy:



To be notified when a new song is posted: 
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here

Recent Posts (clickable)

Recent Posts Widget
Web Analytics