Thursday, August 20, 2015

#70 YOUR GREAT NAME - Natalie Grant


For those of you who are new here, you probably need to know that sometimes it takes me awhile to actually get to the song. I tend to meander around, spouting off about cultural and social issues, waxing poetic about my cats, etc, and generally just wasting time before we ever talk about the song.

Well, this week I've firmly resolved to cut out all the nonsense and get right to the song - the classic Your Great Name by Natalie Grant. However, this past week something came up so monumental, so earth-shattering, so blow-your-mind amazing that I felt that I had to put Miss Grant on hold and talk about it. So here it is:

Lexus is coming out with a Hoverboard!!!!!

That's right, the moment I've been waiting for my whole life is FINALLY here, and not a moment too soon. As I'm sure most of your realize, the great historical documentary Back To The Future II showed us that there would definitely be working hoverboards by October 21, 2015, also known as 'Future Day'. Since we've only got a few months to go, you just knew that hoverboards would have to hit the shelves sometime this summer.

I'm glad we got this future instead of the one from 'Planet of the Apes'

The Lexus advertising campaign is pretty slick as well. The tagline for a memorable ad campaign has to be short, to the point, and sort of 'jingl-y'. I'm sure you'll all agree that the Lexus Hoverboard ad campaign just about nails it. Here's what the ad says:

"Hey, have you ever needed to sneak up behind Biff's car and steal Gray's Sports Almanac from him so that he doesn't end up marrying your mom and making her get giant boobs, but all you had was a cruddy old terrestrial skateboard with WHEELS? Well, fear no more - with Lexus' new HoverMe technology, we'll have you stealing that almanac, planting Biff in manure, and going back to the 1950s and making out with your mom before you can say, "Great Scott!".

The alternate advert was Matthew McConaughey saying, "I was using Lexus Hoverboards long before anyone paid me to use them". That one didn't test as well with the young people.

Now, at first I thought that this might be a giant hoax, but then I realized that it was on the Internet, so that means it must be true. Either way, it looks like I will soon be able to achieve one of my three major lifelong dreams, which is to own a working hoverboard.(1)

(1) Alas, I'm pretty sure that the second of my three major lifelong dreams will never come to fruition. EVERY Saturday I go to random High School libraries but Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, and the rest of the gang never show up. Heck, at this point, I'd settle for just sitting down and having a sandwich with Ally Sheedy. 

Seriously. I'm there at 8 am every Saturday. Where ARE you guys?

But fortunately for you all, I am currently living the third of my three lifelong goals - which is to have a worship countdown blog that is read by at least 10 people a week.(2) And as such, I guess it's time to stop being 'preoccupied by 1985' and get to this week's song, Your Great Name by Natalie Grant.

(2) Margin of Error: +/- 8 people 

Your Great Name is a great song - you know that because it has the world 'Great' right there in the title. You also know it's great because it's only been around for about 5 years, but it's been covered by a bunch of artists already. Heck, even the acoustic version is almost as good as the original - some even like it better.

But the thing that makes this song stand out is the bridge, that wonderful bridge. When I'm finished with this blog in the summer of 2022, my next blog will be 'The 100 Greatest Bridges in the History of Music'. I'm pretty sure that the bridge in Your Great Name will be in the top ten.

At this point, I'm reminded of that old Seinfeld-type joke about the black box being the only thing that survives in a plane crash. Well, then, why don't they just make the whole plane out of the black box? Funny stuff. With Your Great Name, I'm thinking that the bridge in this song is SO good that they should just make the whole song out of the bridge, right?(3)

(3) I think about these things. I'm weird. And lonely. And I'm also... eh, you know what, I'd better just save the rest for my therapist. 

Of course, the bridge isn't the only good part of the song. Your Great Name sort of starts out slowly and all ethereal-like and it just kinds of builds up until it hits the bridge about 2 1/2 minutes in. But from then on, it just kicks butt the rest of the way. Particularly good are the background vocals and all the Oh Oh's and stuff.(4)

(4) I'm sure you can tell my my expert description of the song that I own an advanced musical degree...NOT! 
(Are the young kids still doing the 'NOT!' thing? I'm pretty sure it's still hilarious, amirite?)

Your Great Name is actually the second Natalie Grant song on the top 100 countdown, the first being the 'Probably-Doesn't-Belong-On-The-Countdown-But-Andy-Really-Likes-It' song Awaken. Alas, this will also be the last Natalie Grant song on the top 100 countdown (spoiler alert!). To make up for the lack of NattyG stuff going forward, I've added another great Natalie Grant song in Andy's Extras 2 - check it out.

So, anyway, here's the video for Your Great Name. Please, no skipping ahead to the bridge - I'll know if you don't watch the whole thing.



To be notified when a new song is posted: 
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here

Recent Posts (clickable)

Recent Posts Widget
Web Analytics